Monday, April 21, 2008

You can only do what you can do!

I don't know if you've seen the latest "concern" on the news the past few weeks - it's about a chemical - BPA. Apparently, it's in those Nalgene plastic water bottles and - guess what else - baby bottles!!

Some studie show that it can cause several things in adults - the one I remember most is obesity - now I know what to blame my weight on - haha. In children, I guess the concern is that it can cause premature puberty, among other things??

We use the Avent bottles - and it's in there - as well as most other bottles. So where does that leave us? I looked on a site for non-BPA bottles and most of the options are expensive - for us anway. But, the good news is that there are a couple of brands that you can purchase at WalMart/Target/Meijer,etc... Evenflo and Nuby are the ones.

At this point, considering all that we've been through with MTE eating issues the past three weeks, we're not making any major changes now. We'll see what happens when he grows into the next nipple flow rate size.

We do understand that ultimately, God is the One who protects MTE - but, we are the stewards of his little life and want to do our part to keep him safe when we do have the choice.

4 comments:

Carol Hightower said...

Hi Babe, I suppose there are no such things as glass bottles anymore!! What a world! We pray for wisdom for you and Mark all the time....and for ourselves. Much love - MTE sure is a sweetie!
Mom

Kristi said...

Actually, there are glass bottles - but they cost more than the plastic ones.

Leanne said...

Hi Kristi,
I just ordered glass bottles for Michael. I used the Avent also for Christopher and something different for Matthew...
You can get 3 Evenflo glass bottles from this company for 5.95 plus shipping (my total was 13.40 with shipping).
I've been "recycling" the glass nurser bottles that the formula comes in (they go up to 6 ounces) and one advantage is the glass can be cleaned a lot easier. Plastic bottles start to look pretty yukky by the end of a year. I always wondered if they were actually clean or not!
Just thought you might like the info!
Leanne

Kristi said...

Thanks for the info, Leanne