Monday, April 14, 2008

Rough days!

We're having a rough patch with Matthew. He doesn't want to eat - if you feed him while he's asleep, or just waking up - he'll do okay - until he "wakes up" and realizes that he's eating and then he's just done. Distracting him was working but not so much now. I tried a different bottle - didn't make a difference. He's on the formula that he was on before we tried to switch him. Other than eating, Matthew is fine. Every feeding is a struggle for all of us.

I took him to the Dr. today and he thinks it's his reflux. (He checked his ears and his mouth and his belly.) So, he increased his Zantac dose and has us giving him pedialyte for 24hrs and then restart his formula tomorrow. Mark and I are not encouraged in this. He's been at more of an appropriate dose od Zantac since Mark called him on Saturday and it hasn't helped a bit - we really don't think that one more 0.1cc will make that much of a difference, but, we'll see. The doctor said if this doesn't work, he'll switch his meds.

As I sit here writing, I hear Matthew screaming while Mark is trying to feed him the pedialyte - it's not very pleasant as you can imagine.

If you think of it, you could pray for patience and compassion for us parents - it's tempting to be angry with Matthew when you know he needs to eat - he would be much happier in the long run. Mark is certainly looking forward to the day when we can reason with Matthew. Mark is quite amazing - patient with Matthew(even though I know that he is frustrated) and compassionate toward his worn out, emotional wife. I'm soooo thankful for him.

We do love our little guy, we just wish that there was some magic switch that we could flip and know exactly what's going on in that "little"(16#3oz) body.

3 comments:

Kandie Stilwell said...

I'm sorry Kristi, we will be praying. I am sure you are frustrated. Keep at it.

Betty 'Rie said...

As a mother of an EXTREME reflux baby, I just have to tell you that I know your frustration. The doc did the same for Jack, to NO avail. He did not begin to improve until we switched him to a daily dose of Prilosec--and it was so much easier to administer, tasted better, and was just one time a day. Also, he did not really improve until we allowed him to sleep on his tummy through the night--he was still elevated--we placed books under one end of his crib.

He is also at the age of fussiness. There is just something about this age and reflux--I think it must be at the height of the pain for him. Poor baby, poor mama and daddy.

Hang in there, it will eventually go away and he will be happy again. I'll be praying for you!

Carol Hightower said...

Good AM, Dear Family, you have been prayed for much during the night...This, too, shall pass away! Just love this little guy - he cannot tell you what is wrong other than cry.... Perhaps one of the nursery ladies from church might be a helping hand and good shoulder to cry on - the Lord sent certain ladies to me here in the big Burg. We love you, Babe, and know this is another step in life. Someday, you can help someone else going through similar circumstance. God bless, God IS in control, Mom