So, apart from homemade yogurt - which is super easy and cheap once you think about how much yogurt you'll get out of one box of nonfat dry milk(which isn't cheap), I've decided to try my hand at homemade cheese!
This recipe seems easy enough. I decided for my first attempt to use just a half gallon of milk. If I do a full gallon, I will have to buy a bigger strainer. It's looking good so far, all that is left is the hour long wait in the strainer. I'm anticipating almost 6 cups of whey and will try to make the ricotta cheese that's mentioned in one of the comments below the recipe.
Forgive me and my camera for the lighting issue. The first picture is after I had just added the vinegar. The second one was after I had just added the salt. I plan to add some garlic to this batch and use it to make pizza this week.
I figured that whole milk being $1.87 for a half gallon is a pretty good deal for some fresh, yummy cheese.
1 comment:
Interesting.....would guess it's good! :o) Today I fixed stew meat, onions (of course), greenbeans, carrots and potatoes...in gravy. Decided to fix crescent rolls, too (canned ones)...I shouldn't tell you that, should I? Also, apple pie..YUM. Looking forward to a visit...:o)
Post a Comment