Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Daydreaming about peanut butter

With Matthew's 20 month date coming up, I can't help but daydream about all of the peanut butter he'll be eating in a little over four months. I really don't anticipate any allergies - he's had so many accidental exposures to nuts this past four or five months I really think he'll be fine.

With that said, however, I do realize that all of my excitement is conitingent on whether or not MTE decides to give pb a chance. I'm trying to prepare myself for him finding this source of protein even more revolting than chicken, beef, pork, cheese(apart from pizza) and eggs. Counting down the months.........

3 comments:

Leanne said...

where did you hear 2 years? I've never heard that before...I can pretty much guarantee you that if he had a peanut allergy, you would probably know by now. We suspected Matthew was allergic by 11 months, based off of a cookie that he had...
I've already let Michael have peanut butter (he wasn't crazy about it). I figured that the sooner I knew, the better! I think that's what happens when you have the third child!!
Did you know that most schools don't even allow peanut butter sandwiches anymore?? WOW--I would have died! But as a mom, its a big comfort to me, now!
Keep us posted! He'll be ready for Amish marshmallow spread before you know it!

Anonymous said...

Thankfully, there wasn't much talk about the allergies - or, maybe I should rephrase that: Thankful you kids weren't allergic to things! (that I knew of) YUM, the Amish spread is chow! Does your friend have a recipe for that? I think I do, but my guess is that you have it, too.

MTE must be like his Mommie...what you loved, you loved; the "other" stuff would sit on your plate. Dr. Schafer said to leave it until you ate it all...or wait until the next meal. Life is a bummer, isn't it? haha

Love to you and yours, give that handsome little guy a hug from Grandma.

Molly said...

I'm with Leanne...Caleb has been enjoying p.b. for several months now! :)

I had to chuckle at Grandma's comment. We have one who is a picky eater. We have the "you have to eat everything on your plate" rule. What she likes, she likes and eats quickly...what she doesn't like, she finishes but, man, does it take her forever sometimes! You would think we were killing her! :)

My sis-in-law (who has 5 kids) shared something with me when Lili was about MTE's age and would ONLY eat pb and j's, carrot sticks and lettuce. She gently pointed out to me that we were catering to her desires by not making her eat things that she didn't like and that was training her to expect things in life to go her way. She also shared that after the age of 2 they have a household rule that she will not cook catering to likes/dislikes and that each person will eat at least 2 spoonfuls of what ever it is that mom fixes (whether they care for the food or not!). At that point in life, as a first time mom, I thought that sounded a bit extreme, but now, 11 years later I am very thankful for that advice! We put it into practice and now Lili is our best eater (as far as variety of foods that she likes) of all 4! :) All of our children are good eaters as far as variety (even if they are slower than a seven year itch with what they don't care for...ha ha!), but it was only a natural thing for one of them. The other 3 had to learn to be that way with some strong, but loving encouragement from mom and dad. It is a growing process for all involved, but well worth it in the end. :) Praying for you guys!