Monday, April 27, 2009

WASH YOUR HANDS!

With the swine flu on the scene, it's tempting for me to freak out. I probably wouldn't have in the past - but things are different now. First, I live right on a major interstate that just about everyone has to travel through in order to get out of Texas. Which brings me to my second concern - I work in an ED that's right off said interstate. It's not uncommon at all to get travellers who weren't feeling well for whatever reason coming to our ED. Third, I have a sixteen month old, whom I obviously don't want to expose to anything like that after working all night in said ED.
The incubation period is 48 hours - so, if you think you've been exposed - if you're not sick after two days, you're good.

I got the following information from the CDC website - the usual stuff - but good to keep in mind - especially if you're travelling on any interstate these days and stop along the road for gas, food, bathroom, etc.......

What You Can Do to Stay Healthy
There are everyday actions people can take to stay healthy.

Cover your nose and mouth with a tissue when you cough or sneeze. Throw the tissue in the trash after you use it.
Wash your hands often with soap and water, especially after you cough or sneeze. Alcohol-based hands cleaners are also effective.
Avoid touching your eyes, nose or mouth. Germs spread that way.
Try to avoid close contact with sick people.

Influenza is thought to spread mainly person-to-person through coughing or sneezing of infected people.
If you get sick, CDC recommends that you stay home from work or school and limit contact with others to keep from infecting them.

2 comments:

Leanne said...

it is tempting to freak out! however, this virus doesn't appear to be affecting small children/ elderly right now...
Plus, we aren't supposed to worry, right???
yeah...that's easy to say...

Carol Hightower said...

It IS a growing concern, ins't it? Common sense....God's protection/perfect plan...gives me peace! Do you think MTE will know us??? Can't wait! Love to all